People around the world are certainly concerned about the newly arrived variant Omicron of covid-19.
It has several mutations that may have an impact on how it behaves. Well, there are lots of research works underway to evaluate its severity & transmissibility over children.
It is important to remember that all variants of covid-19 can cause severe diseases or death. Hence preventing the virus from its spread can reduce the disease load.
WHO believes Omicron would outspace the delta variant where there is covid-19 transmission in the community. However, being vaccinated & taking precaution such as avoiding crowded spaces, keeping distance from other and wearing a Mask are critical in helping to prevent the spread and we know these actions have been effective againts other variants as well.
There is no information available to suggest that omicron causes different covid-19 symptomes. However children who are mixing socially and unvaccinated are more susceptible to contracting covid-19
Important note for the parents
- Children have the right to know what is going on but it should be explained to them in an age appropriate way.
- Invite your child to share what they have heard and listen to their response. It is importent to take any fears they have.
- Remember that kids take their emotional cues from adult so even if you are worried for your little one knowing that they might be uncomfortable try not to overshare your fears with your child
- Wear mask that covers your nose and mouth and make sure your hands are clean when you but on and remove your mask.
- Keep physical distance of at least 1 metre from others.
- Avoid poorly ventillated or crowded space.
- Wash your hands regularly.
- When its your turn , get vaccinated.
Dr. dharamraj patra
MBBS MD (Pediatrics)